The stadium was the venue of the Namaste Trump event and hosted US President Donald Trump and Indian Prime minister Narendra Modi on 24 February 2020. The event mirrored the "Howdy Modi" event held in Houston, Texas.
Sardar Patel Stadium was where some notable events occurred
• First Day Night Test Match Played on 24 February 2021 between India vs England
• Sunil Gavaskar completed 10,000 runs in Test cricket in 1986–87 against Pakistan.
• Kapil Dev, who had taken 9 wickets in an innings in the first match on this ground, taking his 432nd wicket in Test cricket to pass Sir Richard Hadlee's record in 1994.
• In October 1999, Sachin Tendulkar scored his first Test Match double-hundred in a match against New Zealand.
• Sachin Tendulkar completed his 20 years of International Cricket in the stadium on 16 November 2009 against Sri Lanka. During the same game, Sachin Tendulkar reached a landmark of 30,000 runs in International cricket.
• Sachin Tendulkar became the first-ever cricketer to score 18,000 runs in one day cricket in a match against Australia during 2011 Cricket World Cup.
• AB de Villiers reached his first double-hundred against India during the second test of South Africa's tour to India in 2008.
Because of coming India vs England day night test match on 24th feb 2021, New LED lights has been refurbished at Sardar Patel Stadium, in Motera to eliminate shadows, making it easier to spot the aerial balls during the match.
The world’s largest cricket stadium will also have 11 centre strips, which is also a unique, along with never before heard 4 dressing rooms with in-built gymnasium, said Gujarat Cricket Association’s joint secretary Anil Patel.
View of worlds largest cricket stadium, the Motera Stadium, ahead of its inauguration on Feb. 24, in Ahmedabad. (PTI)
Refurbished Motera stadium renamed after PM as Narendra Modi stadium
The President inaugurated the stadium in the presence of Home Minister Amit Shah and Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju among a host of other dignitaries.
President Ram Nath Kovind on Wednesday inaugurated the world's largest cricket arena -- the refurbished Sardar Patel Stadium in Motera -- a state-of-the-art facility which can accommodate an awe-inspiring 1.32 lakh spectators.
The President inaugurated the stadium in the presence of Home Minister Amit Shah and Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju among a host of other dignitaries. It opens with the third Test between India and England, a day-night game from Wednesday, and will also host the fourth and final game of the series from March 4.
India vs England Live Score, 3rd Test, Day 1
The stadium, which was earlier named after India's first deputy Prime Minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, has been renamed after current Prime Minister Narendra Modi and will henceforth be known as the Narendra Modi Stadium.